Global Gypsies is an award-winning touring and training company based in Perth, Western Australia, and operating around the globe (COVID permitting!). Over the past 25 years we've run dozens of successful tours and training sessions, built up a sound reputation and established a loyal client base. We are well respected in the industry and love what we do. We pride themselves on personalized service, commitment to quality and a high level of repeat business. We hope to see you on a tour or training course soon!
ABOUT GLOBAL GYPSIES TOURS & TRAINING
- Our self-drive 4WD 'tag-along-tours' to the desert & the outback won the Gold Medal for Adventure Tourism at the WA Tourism Awards
- Self-drive tag-along-tours for 4x4's and/or caravans are a unique & safe alternative way to explore Australia - independent but not alone!
- Company Director/Convoy Leader Jeremy Perks, is a former WA Tour Guide of the Year, qualified mechanic, accredited trainer, holds a remote area first aid certificate, is an experienced bushman & is an Honorary Ranger with WA Department of Parks & Wildlife Services.
- Established in Perth in 1997, we have National Accreditation through Tourism Council WA & are licensed to operate by the WA Department of Biodiversity, Conservation & Attractions
- Our half-day 4WD courses & caravan towing & reversing training courses are PRIVATE sessions held on days to suit you
- We've produced a top-selling film called "Caravanning with Confidence" available on USB or DVD - ideal for novice caravanners!
- We run periodic one-day "Mickey Mouse Basic Mechanic Courses" for beginners in conjunction with the Caravan Industry Association
- Our unique tour guide training courses won the Bronze Medal for Tourism Education & Training at the WA Tourism Awards - arrange a private session for your group or attend a scheduled session run in conjunction with Tourism Council of Western Australia
- We've published a top-selling book entitled "How to be an Award-Winning Tour Guide" - purchase it from our website or read it on Kindle!
Jeremy Perks and Jan Barrie established GLOBAL GYPSIES in 1997 to give travellers around the world the opportunity to join them on escorted, remote area adventures to such exciting destinations as the Australian outback & deserts, the Silk Road, South America, Antarctica, Alaska, Asia and more.
A "Global Gypsies" safari is not just any old adventure...why? Because it's designed FOR travellers BY travellers.
Our training programs in four-wheel driving, towing and tour-guiding are designed to give our students not just the information they require to make them confident and competent, but also to give them a greater appreciation of the environment and how they can help protect it.
Here's some background about Jan & Jeremy
Born in South Africa, Jeremy is a professional tour Guide and the Winner of the prestigious FACET Tour Guide of the Year Award. In his youth he served as an Officer in the South African Defence Force where he learned bush survival and leadership skills. He's a qualified mechanic (petrol & diesel) and an experienced four-wheel-driver, has a certificate in remote area first aid & who loves the bush. In addition to designing & running safaris, he has a reputation as an outstanding trainer of 4WD and towing; he also trains aspiring tour guides.
Before he became a tour guide, for many years he was the Managing Director of a major Johannesburg advertising agency. After he successfully expanded the business into East Africa, he decided to quit the "9 to 5" rat-race and went off to manage a safari camp in Kenya's Rift Valley.
The camp was exquisite - a few small tents dotted around the edge of a lake in the heart of an extinct volcano, about an hour's drive from the town of Naivasha. The bush was thick and mysterious, and each day brought new sightings of exotic birds, black & white colobus monkeys, giraffe, warthog, gazelle, even the occasional leopard. From then on, he was hooked - tour guiding become his passion and career.
Jan was born in London, but spent most of her early life in the USA. She studied journalism and worked in Washington DC for a lobbying and marketing firm. But soon she got the travel bug, and was soon exploring Europe, Asia, South America and Australia.
Jan fell in love with Australia, and after working on Queensland's Great Barrier Reef and in Melbourne, she settled in Perth, Western Australia. She held senior positions in marketing and public relations there, but in 1992 headed off to Kenya for new adventures. She joined a multi-national advertising agency in Nairobi heading up their PR division and also began writing travel articles about her African adventures for Kenya's national newspaper & a host of international travel magazines.
The Global Gypsies Concept
Jan and Jeremy met up in Nairobi, and thus began a partnership which has resulted in the formation of "Global Gypsies".
In 1994, they both quit their jobs, and bought a 20-year old Land Cruiser which they christened "Lucy". They began exploring Africa as a photo-journalist team & were soon being invited to write about their experiences for a range of magazines & newspapers. For more than a year they travelled through Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zaire (now the Congo), and South Africa. They stayed in fabulous safari camps and lodges, rode on camels, walked with elephants & rhino, spent days game-viewing & met and interviewed some of Africa's most eccentric and fascinating characters.
They flew in balloons, helicopters, light aircraft & micro-lights, seeing some of the most beautiful countryside in the world and sharing it with thousands of readers. But it wasn't all roses! They were also chased by hippo, hugged by gorillas, mugged by thieves, lost in the bush and struck down by malaria!
While they were on the road in Africa, so many people said to them - "We'd love to do what you're doing, but we wouldn't feel safe, or don't have the mechanical ability, or wouldn't know where to go," and so on. It was then that Jan and Jeremy decided to coordinate escorted convoy expeditions.
The couple moved permanently to Australia in 1996 and established Global Gypsies the following year. Since then, their 4WD tag-along-tours to such destinations as the Canning Stock Route, Rudall River National Park, Kakadu, the Kimberley & more have earned international acclaim.
The company also has a busy training division delivering courses on Four Wheel Driving, Tour Guide Training and towing training for caravans & camper trailers.
COVID permitting, Jeremy & Jan also escort personalised, small group tours to such exciting overseas destinations as Antarctica, Tanzania, Botswana, India, Japan, South America and more.
They've also written a book entitled "How to be an Award-Winning Tour Guide". In their spare time they ride their Harley Davidson, "Babe", and indulge in their passion for travel.
Why not join Global Gypsies on one of their fabulous tours or training courses? They've made their dreams come true. Now it's your turn...